Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To Bake or To Buy

When I was in Bible College (many, many, many years ago) there was an older couple in the church that was notorious for their cooking. They made the best white chicken chili, lasagna, bread, desserts...oh man. I'm hungry. They would cook in the soup kitchen once a week, and the students that worked that day ate for free. Students that just came to eat had to pay $5. It was worth it, though.

Anyways, there was one cake that they made which is the favorite of one my friends. So I'm making it today. Well, I'm icing it today. I baked it last night.



I personally love making cakes, cupcakes, cookies and pies. Anything that's good for you *wink wink*. So for me, there's really no question of baking over buying. I love it, and I have the time. I'm not professional by any means, but they look good enough for my kiddos.

For a regular iced cake, it probably takes me an hour and cost me around $5 depending on the flavor. I don't count the cooling time, because I'm busy with other things. But if I were to buy a plain iced cake at the grocery store (bakeries are more expensive) it would cost me $20 for a quarter sheet. It's about $30 if I get a themed cake.

I'll let you know how this strawberry cake turns out. If it tastes half as good as it smelled, then we're in for a treat! As long as it doesn't turn out like the turkey on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation....

1 comment:

  1. Let me say, this strawberry was awesome.. Totally awesome. And maybe when I get home my great wife will make another one for ME!

    ReplyDelete