Friday, February 11, 2011

Beating the Winter Blues

Maybe it was because I had a cold/flu combo that stuck around forever. Maybe it was the lack of sunshine starving me of Vitamin D.  Maybe it was because of all the snow I haven't gotten out of the house much and I got cabin fever. Whatever the reason, I had a bad case of the blues.

How do I cure that? What I want to do is go shopping! Filling carts and bags with stuff that I only want and don't really need would make me feel a whole lot better! But alas, for better or worse, my budget restrains me.

Gosh, that darn budget!

I had to use alternative methods. First, I did splurge a little...in the calories! That left me feeling like crap, honestly. Then I decided I was going to splurge and buy myself some tea. It was $2 but I had a coupon for $1 off and I love a cup of tea at night. Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime is great before bed.

Next I started to run again. I haven't because of the cold/flu bug, not wanting to hurt myself. But this time I ran hard. I mean HARD. Sweat pouring, barely breathing, ready to crash hard. There's something about wearing myself out when I'm feeling down that makes me feel good. Luckily I have a treadmill at home, but if you don't, find a workout on tv or in your stash of videos. You know you have one! Make it a good one. Tae Bo always kicked my booty.

Open the windows when the sun is shining! Even if it let's in cold off the glass. Absorb that Vitamin D! There are so many health benefits. I just read how a deficiency is linked to Multiple Sclerosis. I have people in my family with MS. That is no joke.

The last thing I did was pray more. My spiritual life had been suffering too! It made me feel like my soul had taken a huge drink of water. Never underestimate the nourishment of your spirit.

Those were my blues busting steps. And they were fairly inexpensive! What do you do to beat the blues that's budget friendly? Yoga on YouTube? Coffee with your friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment