Monday, March 28, 2011

Dear Secret Millionaire,

I saw your segment last night on ABC, or CBS, or PBS...whichever station you're on, and I was deeply disturbed. $55 for 5 days for one person is more than enough to eat on. Let me show you how.

I am assuming that you won't be sale shopping, so I'll put the amounts for the items at the most I think they'd be. Do not buy name brand. May be scary for you, but welcome to the real world.

Gallon of milk $4
Box of cereal $3
Loaf of bread $1.50
Peanut Butter $2
Jelly $2
Box of Ramean Noodles $2
Apples $3
Oranges $3
Dozen eggs $2
Rice $1
Whole Chicken $5
Black Beans Canned $2
Spaghetti $1
Spaghetti Sauce $2

Total= $33.50 + tax

I'm sure you're used to people cooking for you, so here's a little help.
  • To make rice, the ratio is 2 to 1. Boil 2 cups of water, add 1 cup of rice and bring it back to a boil. Turn the burner on low and cover. Check it in about 15 minutes. 
  • To cook a chicken, thaw it and wash it. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Put your chicken into a pan and cook it for about an hour, until the juices run clear and the insides are not pink. You can eat this all week. Add it to your pasta, your black beans and eat it on bread.
I hope the next time you are given $55 for 5 days, you'll stop by my sight and look at the list I made for you. 

Sincerely,
Carmen Cavanaugh

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Carmen!!! I could totally live on $55 for 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! It's sad that he thought that would be hard. Really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. $55 would cover all my expenses for 5 days, including all the monthly bills divided per day. Gee whizz

    ReplyDelete