Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dressing Up Leftovers

Leftovers are...tolerated by the kids if it's not pizza or spaghetti. I try to disguise them cleverly. Leftover taco meat becomes Southwestern Beef Salad. Which is what's pictured. Minus cheese.

Not because I don't have any, I just didn't feel like it today. Which is rare.

It was so good I had it again for lunch. I made the corn relish for the first time with dried beans. Normally I crack a can, but...rising prices make me skip the cans. It was really easy and totally replicate worthy.

Get a small saucepan. Pour in the beans (I did about 1/4 cup dried) and pick out any rocks or yucky stuff. Rinse and drain. Add water to 1/4 inch under the rim. Sprinkle in 1tsp. salt and boil away for about an hour. You may need to add more water. They need to be tender to the touch but not mushy.

Boil 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 2/3 cup sugar until the sugar dissolves. Drain the beans. Open & drain 1 can of corn. Add to the vinegar and let set in the refrigerator until it cools. It's even better the next day.

I first tried corn relish at Tin Star, a restaurant here in Tulsa, and my mother in law found something similar in my Betty Crocker cookbook. We've added tomatoes, red bell pepper, onions and green pepper at different times. All were good!

Make it your own! For less than $1(if your corn is less than $.40 a can), it's a great salad topper, or party dip with tortilla chips.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment