Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Soul Surfer

Last night I had the opportunity to take Isabella and Liana to see the movie 'Soul Surfer' for free! Our local Christian radio station has been running ads for the last couple of weeks to see it before it's released. So I went online and filled out I wanted to go and wanted 3 tickets. I don't know what I was thinking, putting in 3 tickets when there are 5 in my family. But I did. Monday afternoon the confirmation e-mail was in my inbox!

I was interested in it not only because of the interesting story based on real life events, but also because it had Anna Sophia Robb, Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid and Carrie Underwood headlining. It was a delightful surprise to see Craig T. Nelson (hello Coach!) and Kevin Sorbo (of Hercules fame!) in the film as well.

While I was a little hesitant to take the girls, knowing the storyline, I prepared them ahead of time. They knew to expect she was bitten by a shark and that was very scary, but they also knew that she doesn't die. Seeing the story on the big screen, though, brought all of us to tears. I am the only one that will admit it!

Bethany Hamilton with Anna Sophia Robb (Bethany)
It was a great movie, with a great message. It's so disheartening to take the kids to see a film that is full of suggestive, disrespectful and vulgar language. Even in G rated films insinuations and double meanings run rampant. This movie did not have one moment when I cringed thinking they were going to have a new attitude or saying that was going to have to be corrected. Bethany Hamilton's faith is very evident in the film and that is refreshing to see!

If you're going to pick a movie to see next weekend, pick this one. It's a tale of triumph in the face of tragedy and adversity. It's about finding your way when you can't see through the storm. You will leave feeling warm and encouraged, and able to look your mom in the eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment